Why Recycle steel?
Recycling is one of the most important things you can do to preserve our planet’s precious resources. Recycling steel, in particular, has major environmental benefits.
By recycling steel, we can:
- Help preserve natural resources and protect the environment.
- Keep steel in the ‘recycling loop’ and save it from going into landfill sites.
- Help the UK to reach its target of recycling 54% of steel packaging by 2008.
Every tonne of steel packaging recycled makes the following environmental savings:
- 1.5 tonnes of iron ore.
- 0.5 tonnes of coal.
- 40% of the water required in production.
- 75% of the energy needed to make steel from virgin material.
- 1.28 tonnes of solid waste.
- Reduction of air emission by 86%.
- Reduction of CO2 emissions by 80%.
- Reduction of water pollution by 76%.
Benefits for councils and waste collectors
In addition to collecting steel for recycling, local councils and collectors can:
- Receive payments via the CanRoute (this link will open in a new browser window) centre for scrap steel packaging.
- Help the UK meet its steel recycling targets(this link will open in a new browser window).
- Divert waste from landfill sites, thereby saving costs.